Friday, May 6, 2011

Sample Ork Army List

Hey guys,
I’m still lacking some ideas, but once again I’m sitting in a train and have quite some time to think and write this way. So, as already promised I’m going to give you some ideas about the Ork army I’m currently playing most of the time. I’ll just start with the army list so that you know what I am talking about ;)
***************  2 HQ  *************** 
Warboss
- Mega Armour
- Cybork Body
- Bosspole
 - - - > 115 Points

Big Mek
- Kustom Force Field
 - - - > 85 Points
***************  3 Elites  *************** 
15 Lootas
 - - - > 225 Points

9 Tankbustas
- 2 x Tankhammer
- Nob
- Power Claw
- Bosspole
 - - - > 165 Points

9 Tankbustas
- 2 x Tankhammer
- Nob
- Power Claw
- Bosspole
 - - - > 165 Points
***************  4 Troops  *************** 
3 Meganobz
- 1 x Kombi Shoota-Skorcha
- 1 x Kombi Shoota-Rokkit Launcha
+ Battlewagon
   - 2 x Big Shoota
   - Deff Rolla
   - Grot Riggers
 - - - > 255 Points

19 Boyz
- Nob
- Power Claw
- Bosspole
 - - - > 154 Points

19 Boyz
- Shootas
- Nob
- Power Claw
- Bosspole
 - - - > 154 Points

10 Gretchin
- 1 x Runtherd
 - - - > 40 Points
***************  1 Fast Attack  *************** 
3 Warbuggies
- 3 x Twin-linked Rokkit Launcha
 - - - > 105 Points
***************  3 Heavy Support  *************** 
3 Killa Kans
- 3 x Grotzooka
 - - - > 135 Points

Battlewagon
- 2 x Big Shoota
- Deff Rolla
 - - - > 120 Points

Battlewagon
- 2 x Fette Wumme
- Deff Rolla
- Grot Riggers
 - - - > 125 Points

Summed up: 1843 Points

As you can see this is roughly a list for 1,850 point games. There are some spare points and if I want I can even get additional free points by kicking a Loota or getting rid of some of the big shootas on the Battlewagons. To get down to 1,750 I can either kick the squad of Warbuggies or instead buy a second squad that consists of 2 Buggies and kick one of the Tankbusta squads completely. Now let’s take a closer look at the list itself.
In the HQ I chose a combination of a Warboss and a Big Mek because in my opinion this is one of the strongest setups. With three BWs in this list I really want to have access to a KFF, but do not really need two of them. The Warboss allows me to buy a squad of Nobz as a Troop choice and this way I can play four scoring units in my list and I’m still able to max out my Elite section.
In the Elite section there is only one large unit of Lootas. Of course I would rather play two squads of 10 Lootas each, but I often play against Tyranids and Marines and learned to love my Tankbustas with their AP 3 weapons a lot. So I stick to two mobile Tankbusta units. Kommandos and Burnaboys didn’t make it into my list, because neither of them really supports my style of playing Orks. A unit of Nobz would be far too expensive in this list and is therefore left out as well.
The first of my Troop choices is a unit of MANz (of course with maxed out woundgroups) in a BW. This way I can even field a BW in Dawn of War deployment if I want to. The Warboss often runs with this unit, in order to not slow down my units of Boyz. The Boy units are at 19 models, because this way I can put each of them into a BW and I am free to decide which of these squads protects the Big Mek. One unit is equipped with shootas so that I get some alternatives in playing these units. Last but not least I included a squad of Gretchins. It should be quite clear that this unit most of the time is kept in reserve and always hides and does nothing at all besides seizing an objective late in the game.
In the Fast Attack section I just bought a squad of Rokkit-Buggies. For 105 points they are just great to move quite fast over the battlefield and shoot twin-linked rokkits at everything that could be dangerous for me. Being fast vehicles helps them a lot in staying alive even though they are just AV10 open topped.
The Heavy Support section is quite full (with the BW of the MANz I got 4 units) and very important for my army. I bought two BWs in here what makes my army far more mobile and harder to kill than without them. In addition to that every BW in my army is equipped with a deff rolla, which helps a lot with dealing with highly armoured vehicles. D6 automatic hits at S10 can open LRs or any other vehicle that is annoying my army. It’s important to keep in mind that the BW is open topped, which means that the Orks inside it can even attack anything that falls out of a destroyed transport vehicle ;)
The last Heavy Support slot is occupied by a squadron of Killa Kans. Equipped with grotzookas they can kill hordes as well as better armoured infantry and with AV11 on the front they are quite good in blocking annoying outflanking units. If there is nothing like that to do I can even play them rather aggressively, because their S10 attacks make them also good at destroying vehicles. So they are a real allround unit in my army and can do whatever has to be done.
With 14 killpoints in this list it’s of course not that easy to win a killpoint game, but lots of these killpoints are rather hard to get for your opponent. As long as he doesn’t have lots of long range firepower he will have to get close to you in order to destroy your BWs and that’s exactly what you want him to do. As soon as he approaches you can unleash all of you power at once dealing lots of damage to his units. Normally I keep my army close together with lots of Boyz hidden in BWs. That way they can attack at a rather long range (with the Help of a good time Waaagh even further) and do not block the movement of my vehicles. In games like that I often use my Killa Kans to defend one of my flanks against everything that tries to surround my army, instead of throwing them in the middle of the fight. The Warbuggies very often annoy the enemy and block his movement by spreading out right before his army.
Playing with objectives I try to place one of the objectives very close to my table edge in order to get it with my Gretchin late in the game. The remaining objectives are ideally in the middle of the table close by so that I can seize some of them with my large units of Boyz and the middle of the table is exactly where I want to play most of the time. If there are only two objectives I can defend my own one with Gretchins and Lootas, while lots of my units attacks the other one. As long as I can hold mine and can at least contest the other one with any unit everything is good for me. If your enemy has outflanking units it’s often a good idea to let your Killa Kans defend your objective as well. They should be able to stop most of those units that are able to outflank.
That is more or less what I can tell you about playing with such an army. As always it comes down to playing and learning for yourself and finding your own style of playing. If you find out that you do not need two squads of Tankbustas, but are missing a second unit of Lootas then feel free to change it or play an at all completely different list :)
Just do what you think is the best for yourself and try out lots of different thinks. I hope this article helped you in finding an Ork list for yourself.
Now stay tuned for the next article, at least I do, because I still don’t know what I’m writing about :P
Cheers Cleutin

No comments:

Post a Comment